07 Feb 2019
Hey everybody,

Over the last 7 years this forum has grown exponentially. With your help, We have created a community of Kratom enthusiasts to come together and discuss the industry. The traffic that this site has received has been exciting but also overwhelming. All the while the site grew a little out of date. Over the last few weeks we have updated the platform of the Forum as well as the face of the forum. CHECK OUT THAT NEW LOGO!!! sweet right?!

We could use your help though...
Read More...
We realize that there are hundreds of amazing health and wellness topics. This is the section to talk about them.
  • Page:
Bookmark and Share

TOPIC: Electrolytes

Electrolytes 1 month 3 days ago #41536

• Nan70
  • Nan70's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2686
Any info on best way to take them?

I bought powdered electrolytes from GNC to add to my water. I am working in the heat and I am a sweater. Even in moderate heat I will sweat through to my under garments. Kratom helps me deal mentally with the heat but its also dehydrating and drinking enough water is a challenge and plain water is not helpful. I put a scoop in my water bottle and it helped with cramps and heat headaches. I don't want to take too much is there a rule on adding electrolytes?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Tiggermanscrat, michele373, Babel-17

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electrolytes 1 month 2 days ago #41559

• Babel-17
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 370
Well, it will depend on what's in the mix. I know that by law potassium pills are restricted to a ridiculously small amount, but you can buy bags of the powder, which I did. I mix it 50/50 (though the potassium is much finer) with all natural salt from one of those prehistoric sites out in the southwest. Its called realsalt, add .com and that's their website. I buy it from Amazon and put it in their salt shaker that I got when I bought a small size to try it out (it's a coarse grind). Now I buy it by the bag. $10.19 for 26.oz and you might want to add something like that to your electrolytes mix if it has no salt. realsalt supposedly has all kinds of trace minerals in it.

A small amount of sugar, one half to one third what's in a gatorade, can speed the entry of water into your bloodstream.

So, if your mix lacks potassium, get some, but be careful with potassium because when not diluted it can give you heartburn. Theoretically a huge amount of it could stop your heart. Stick with the recommended small doses but over a day try and get at least the full amount that people should consume.

Sea salt, potassium, magnesium powder (optional), a tiny bit of sugar, and lots of water plus your electrolyte mix and you should be good to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Tiggermanscrat

Last edit: by Babel-17.

Electrolytes 1 month 2 days ago #41560

• Babel-17
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
If it upsets your stomach, then you took too much of the electrolytes. If you're drinking all through the day then moderate the dose.

Before I retired I worked on a paving crew, and I was standing near or on 280 degree asphalt, and we paved in the summer as that's the best time for it. My body signaled that it wanted water and salt. Lol, I can remember scraping salt off my arm, and shirt, from where the sweat had dried. The urge to lick that was also a signal. :)

Last edit: by Babel-17.

Electrolytes 1 month 2 days ago #41561

• Babel-17
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Consider using an adaptogenic like Ginseng, Maca, Ashwagandha,or Schizandra. Maybe American Ginseng as it's less speedy. For some people, adaptogens help with the cold, and heat.

Electrolytes 1 month 2 days ago #41569

• Nan70
  • Nan70's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2686
Thank you excellent information!

I am not dealing with heat frustration this year if i can avoid it. I always get nausea and
headaches. Later when I am home exhaustion and muscle cramps set it.
so far it has helped.

The jar contains -
Magnesium 30mg
Chloride 300mg
Sodium 180mg
Potassium 75mg
Total Sugars 0g

I drank some last night thinking I needed to replenish but I woke up with an upset stomach so I will not or do not need the drink any at night.

I would always -, okay it might sound weird, suck on a piece of bacon at work in the heat. Its the need for salt I guess.

I am opened for every suggestion.
I already take heat breaks and I wear an ice pack to keep my body temperature down.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QFZL16/ref...o03_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Tiggermanscrat, Babel-17

Electrolytes 1 month 2 days ago #41571

• Robie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1109
Good morning Nan! It's lovely to see you. I suffer from very bad heat headaches also if I don't keep my potassium up. I mix my own Gatorade and take 4 99mg. potassium pills a day during the high heat days. It really helps me. Keep that potassium up Nan! Your heart really needs it in these high heat days. If I don't augment with potassium supplements, not only do I get heat headaches, but I start getting heart palpitations with the headaches. And I'm pretty certain that 1,000 mg's and under per day is safe. You might want to double check my info though.

I hope you and yours are doing well? Have a wonderful day Nan!

Be blessed!

Robie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Tiggermanscrat, Babel-17

Electrolytes 1 month 2 days ago #41572

• Laurie
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Have a better day!
  • Thank you received: 6208
I swear MORE now, but it’s not from exertion. Peri-menopause and (I think) kratom causes me to sweat in my sleep often. That’s part of how I keep my tolerance down! If I’m overly sweaty upon waking, I have likely increased my dose recently. I drop it back down and it’s much easier to tolerate. I especially don’t like sweating in my head because that also ruins hair! I don’t wanna have to wash it and start over EVERY DAY!

I’m sorry to hear about the excess sweating, Nan70. That bacon sucking sounds like a brilliant solution for “Johnny on the spot” salt replenishment at your job.

Thanks for the tips on electrolytes, Babel-17! This is a very appropriate discussion because my sodium and potassium have both been low at times when I was new and took the “dehydration” lightly.

For fun, my goofy electrolytes include: water, citric acid, salt, potassium citrate and less than 2% of sucralose and some useless preservatives. Says it makes 18 8fl oz servings, but I’d say more like 8-12. Still cheap as dirt (my budget precisely) compared to properly marketed electrolytes.

Thanks so much for the tips! Nan70, please note this thread for the “electrolytes” file in your lovely links file!

Have a better day, y’all! xo
Laurie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiggermanscrat, Babel-17

Last edit: by Laurie.

Electrolytes 1 month 2 days ago #41574

• Laurie
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Have a better day!
  • Thank you received: 6208
Oh and Hi Robie! (Waving wildly!)

So good to hear you are doing proper electrolyte management! Muy importante! Especially with your easily wavering health AND having a saline bag can become assumed hydration. Hopefully that tea has finished cooking.
Laurie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiggermanscrat

Electrolytes 1 month 1 day ago #41595

• jayisk
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 456
i've been using these. too lazy to make my own.

www.amazon.com/s?k=liquid+i+v+hydration+...ef=pd_sl_r0vwm9gmy_e

• Page:
Moderators: kemppaulh
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds