Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This category is pretty self explanatory and covers any topic. Have fun, but keep it respectful.
  • Page:

TOPIC: An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found.

Bookmark and Share

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6313

• jasondeanh
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 74
I found this article that someone wrote. No wonder why kratom SOMETIMES can be misconstrued. Read for yourself

The url is:

www.montanakaimin.com/arts_and_culture/a...f1-a73127df55f7.html

I DID KRATOM SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO

The seven pills, each about the size of the last joint on your pinky, sat on the counter looking like a month’s worth of vitamins. “Fuck it,” I said, having no idea what was going to happen, and down the hatch they went.

For those of you who don’t know what Kratom is, it’s related to the coffee tree and is native to Southeast Asia. It has been traditionally used as a stimulant in low doses and a sedative at high doses, as well as a recreational drug, pain killer, anti-diarrheal and treatment for opiate addiction, according sagewisdom.org.

That all being said, it tastes like alfalfa. There are many ways to ingest the tricky little herb — many people just honk down pre-packaged pills like I did, but you can also brew it into a tea or chew it if you can get your hands on fresh leaves.

The variety I took, called Maeng Da and made by Experience Botanicals, contained 6 servings (of seven pills each) and cost $25. I found it at Mellow Mood (a pipe and tobacco store close to campus) but Raja’s, Atmosphere and Piece of Mind also carry it.

After taking the drug, I wandered over to the neighbors in search of company. About 45 minutes in I began to feel extraordinarily relaxed and started to lose track of the conversations around me.

Though relaxing after a long day was nice, it wasn’t what I had been banking on. I wanted to get Kratom-weird, so naturally I took four more of the big herbal pills and decided to stretch my legs. Not my best idea to date, not even close.

Soon my hands began to tingle, slightly worrisome, but I was willing to overlook that if it meant having a good time. Shortly after, I began to feel uncoordinated, well, even more uncoordinated than normal, and made the decision to sit down before I fell.

My entire body felt relaxed, like I had spent hours at the gym followed by a hot shower. I couldn’t follow the conversation whatsoever and found myself nodding off repeatedly. Afraid of making even more of a fool of myself I said my goodbyes and stumbled home to pass out.

Thankfully my counterparts had better experiences than I did.

“Sometimes throughout the night I'd feel a mild, tingling euphoria, and I was sleepy at the dinner table," UM senior Finn Anderson said. "Weirdly though, and perhaps unrelated, I couldn't go sleep that night and stayed up till 4 a.m.”

“I felt very chipper and entertained by how sensory everything seemed,” 23-year-old Emily Harris, said.

While growing in popularity here, in parts of Thailand, Kratom consumption is not considered drug use and is therefore not stigmatized as such. Used by as much as 70 percent of adult males, it’s as common as drinking coffee. As alcohol use is prohibited under Islam, Kratom can be a common recreational substance among Muslims, according to a Transnational Institute report on Kratom in Thailand.

My conclusion — if you want to get that nice relaxed feeling that comes with Kratom, maybe just go to the gym and stretch afterwards. Your body and your wallet will thank you.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

@RT_Boggs
The administrator has disabled public write access.

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6318

• ChromeDreams
  • Gold Boarder
  • F-THISBS
  • Thank you received: 108
Thanks for the link and the article Jason. I think the problem here is the author is looking to get Kratom-weird (his words), whatever the hell that means! The fact that he claims to have become uncoordinated and had the nods, after taking just 7 capsules at first followed by 4, seems laughable to me. Unless the caps he bought, which were Experience Botanicals brand according to his article, happen to contain non-Kratom additives, I'm not buying it for a second! That would be a first dose of approximately 4 or 5 grams tops, followed by 2 or 3 grams 45 minutes later. I call BS on this claim.

The fact that he calls Kratom a "drug" is alarming in and of itself. Call it an herbal remedy, or a botanical, or the like. It most certainly is not a drug, however. I believe he was looking for a "drug-like" feeling from Kratom, thus the label. It is articles and blogs like this that lead to the legislative response to ban Kratom across the country. This article is factually deceptive at best, and an outright fabrication at worst.

Grains of salt need to be taken while consuming this article!
WHEN MANY OFFER GREAT ADVICE IN A TIMELY FASHION IT MAKES FOR A GREAT COMMUNITY. WHEN IT BECOMES ABOUT A FEW WHO LIKE TO HEAR THEMSELVES TALK AND DROWN OUT EVERYONE ELSE IT'S LIKE A RADIO SHOW: ILK PRESENTS THE "MAD MAX NEVER SHUTS UP SHOW" SPONSORED BY VENDORS HERE WHO ALSO HAPPEN TO OWN THE FORUM
The following user(s) said Thank You: jasondeanh

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6327

• KrayKray
  • Expert Boarder
  • Free The Tree
  • Thank you received: 47
What is kratom-weird? :-? I've never heard of this term. Most people take kratom for its healing qualities.
(L) Revelation 22:2 And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. (L)

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6328

• ChromeDreams
  • Gold Boarder
  • F-THISBS
KrayKray wrote:
What is kratom-weird? :-? I've never heard of this term. Most people take kratom for its healing qualities.

Me thinks the author is referring to getting high...just my take on it...
WHEN MANY OFFER GREAT ADVICE IN A TIMELY FASHION IT MAKES FOR A GREAT COMMUNITY. WHEN IT BECOMES ABOUT A FEW WHO LIKE TO HEAR THEMSELVES TALK AND DROWN OUT EVERYONE ELSE IT'S LIKE A RADIO SHOW: ILK PRESENTS THE "MAD MAX NEVER SHUTS UP SHOW" SPONSORED BY VENDORS HERE WHO ALSO HAPPEN TO OWN THE FORUM

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6329

• KrayKray
  • Expert Boarder
  • Free The Tree
  • Thank you received: 47
I thought that was what he was getting at.
(L) Revelation 22:2 And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. (L)

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6332

• kemppaulh
  • Thank you received: 411
When uneducated people meet profound herbs, bad things happen. Casually taking some herb you know nothing about is a dumb thing to do. If you show some respect for the herb -- and take only a reasonable dose of something you know the potency of -- it will probably be kind to you.
But, if you take more on top of an already-large dose, because you're suffering from bravado and think you can handle anything, you're asking to be taught a lesson.
Learn about what you ingest, before you take the plunge! Then, have the decency not to brag about your insensitivity in an article bragging about your bad experience.

I agree, this guy is irksome! He gives kratom a bad name. He should stick to drinking beer!
;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jasondeanh

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6333

• werewolf
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
" As alcohol use is prohibited under Islam, Kratom can be a common recreational substance among Muslims, according to a Transnational Institute report on Kratom in Thailand."

Muslims are only 4.6% of the Thai population.

Kratom sure had a much more dramatic effect on the guy who wrote that article than it does on me!

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6340

• kemppaulh
  • Thank you received: 411
Chuck, after reading your response and thinking about this a minute, I'm wondering if this is written by a troll with the intent of scaring people away from kratom. If that's true, then it may be helpful in dissuading those who are looking for a "legal high" from bothering with kratom, which truly isn't what they're looking for.

Experience is a very good brand, from what I know of them, so I seriously doubt their product would be adulterated or spiked.

This dude either really is as dumb as he sounds, or else he is making this whole story up to keep people like him from using kratom, which would be a good thing. It's not really what they want.

The outrageous cost of modern cannabis has spawned the problem of drugs like Spice and K2 -- affordable, obtainable cannabis alternatives. And, of course, it was the ban on cannabis -- which any kid could grow in their back yard -- that created the whole "legal high" craze. Prohibition doesn't work...it just drives people to worse alternatives, creating a hungry market for terrible, dangerous drugs like Spice, Bath Salts and the like.

This fight for kratom criminalization is, to me, just an economic struggle by the rehab clinics to keep their lucrative game going by driving the herbal competition off the market. If they are the only legally-sanctioned alternative -- even though their product is more addictive than heroin, then they can continue to rake in big bucks. (And, they can funnel a chunk of their profits into keeping the politicians who support their overpriced monopoly in office!)

Our job at the AKA is to shame them into doing the moral and fiscally sound thing, by letting people have the kratom option, which is gentler and less expensive way to permanently end addiction.
;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimmy Joe

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6345

• ChromeDreams
  • Gold Boarder
  • F-THISBS
kemppaulh@yahoo.com wrote:
Chuck, after reading your response and thinking about this a minute, I'm wondering if this is written by a troll with the intent of scaring people away from kratom. If that's true, then it may be helpful in dissuading those who are looking for a "legal high" from bothering with kratom, which truly isn't what they're looking for.
SNIP

Yes Paul, if you are referring to the author of the article as being a troll (which I believe is what you're saying), I 100% agree! For a quick second though, I thought you meant I was a troll, lol. Anyway, I do think the author is trying to scare people away from Kratom, but only because he didn't get Kratom-weird (his words) from it. If that turns people off who are looking for that type of feeling from Kratom, so be it. That would be fine with me.

An article that Misconstrues Kratom I found. 1 year 9 months ago #6356

• michaels
  • Thank you received: 192
Just chiming in here, but I'm pretty sure that this article was written in complete truth...by a half-wit jock type looking to get a high out of Kratom. The way he described it, he took a pretty high dose of 3.5 grams for his first time (Guesstimating that each capsules was .5 grams). He then said he went to his neighbors pretty much looking for a good time on the "drug" he believed he just took. All he felt was the fatigue we all are familiar with when you take too high of a dose, so what does he do? He takes even more, so much that he becomes completely sedated and falls asleep.

This is a common case of uneducated use of the plant. If he would've done proper research, he would've known that it's energizing in low doses and sedating in higher doses. I personally believe that the biggest shame of this article is that if this guy would just use Kratom correctly, it would give him effects he desired. It would alter his mood in a positive and energetic manner and cause him to be more sociable, which was exactly what it seems to me that he was looking for. People will be people though so I digress, there's no changing the masses. One of my favorite quotes is from the first Men in Black:

"Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it."

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." :-?

-Michael (L)
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by michaels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kemppaulh, jasondeanh, Jimmy Joe
  • Page:
Moderators: kemppaulh, Marie C
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds