08 Dec 2012
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND...
A few months ago we asked some of the Approved Vendors to offer some discounts to our community. A lot of them graciously did. We have been asked to bring those discounts back. The following vendors would like to share the love for this forum with you. I know we all appreciate it.
Read More...
This category is pretty self explanatory and covers any topic. Have fun, but keep it respectful.
  • Page:
Bookmark and Share

TOPIC: Syria

Syria 6 months 4 days ago #26868

• Thefrogshateme
  • Thefrogshateme's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 559
So am I getting what's going on right now Right? Trump said everyone is scheduled to leave Syria in a month, then a chemical bomb went off that would force us to stay. Russia is questioning the intent, because why would Syria want us to stay. Russia is investigating and are in Syria. Trump wants to blow up Syria, the Russians in Syria before they complete their investigation.
Russia is in position to counter any strike and protect their troops, and will be deemed terrorists is they do so.

Don't get me wrong, I love trumps being proactive approach, we need to be proactive. Something That pisses me off though and not just Trump. In America we can do what ever tf we want to do to a county and our country is always right. We are always in other countries, and every country besides ours is a terrorists if they try to retaliate. What if another county like Korea brought their troops into America like we do with their country. They would be destroyed on site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kemppaulh, Laurie, Stevie, Teeswaran

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Syria 6 months 4 days ago #26869

• kemppaulh
  • Thank you received: 811
Very good point! We try to influence the politics and elections of other countries, even to the point of sending ISIS and Al Qaeda terrorists in to overthrow their elected government, but that's fine. Russia is in Syria as an invited ally and guest. We should stay out of Syria's affairs.

Assad has no motive to gas his people and gave up the poisons under international inspection years ago. The "rebels" -- who mostly are imported jihadis from Saudi Arabia, etc., have a strong motive to stage a gas attack. It is so obvious, but Trump is falling for it.

I pray that wiser parties will influence us to stay out and let Syria work out their own issues. We're trying to do a regime change, which we wouldn't want done here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Nan70, Stevie, Thefrogshateme, Teeswaran

;)

Syria 6 months 2 days ago #26910

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2872

In America we can do what ever tf we want to do to a county and our country is always right. We are always in other countries, and every country besides ours is a terrorists if they try to retaliate. What if another county like Korea brought their troops into America like we do with their country. They would be destroyed on site.

Well...it is nice to see an American articulate what most of the rest of the world thinks is America's greatest flaw...ARROGANCE!

In the countries that score higher on the human development index, there are so many good social programs that the USA could learn from. Things like maternity leaves, universal health care, pharmacare programs, employment standards, environmental regulations etc really help humans to grow, stay healthy, and develop into productive, taxpaying citizens. BUT the USA seems intent on NOT learning from anyone and going their own way...which does not seem to be working very well.

I still cannot understand how the USA could live right next door to a country that has had universal health care for the last 60 years and NOT have learned anything about it. It is almost as though the US politicians direct energy into NOT LEARNING about it. smh

You may have noticed that Canada is not part of this offensive in Syria but...we will probably be there to pick up the pieces. Canada decided a long time ago that while the main goal of the military has to be the safety and security of the Canadian people, outside of Canada, peacekeeping would be the goal of military missions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nan70, TianMiFeng, Thefrogshateme

BEV

#humboldtstrong
#torontostrong

Syria 6 months 1 day ago #26911

• Thefrogshateme
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

bomalley wrote:

In America we can do what ever tf we want to do to a county and our country is always right. We are always in other countries, and every country besides ours is a terrorists if they try to retaliate. What if another county like Korea brought their troops into America like we do with their country. They would be destroyed on site.

Well...it is nice to see an American articulate what most of the rest of the world thinks is America's greatest flaw...ARROGANCE!

In the countries that score higher on the human development index, there are so many good social programs that the USA could learn from. Things like maternity leaves, universal health care, pharmacare programs, employment standards, environmental regulations etc really help humans to grow, stay healthy, and develop into productive, taxpaying citizens. BUT the USA seems intent on NOT learning from anyone and going their own way...which does not seem to be working very well.

I still cannot understand how the USA could live right next door to a country that has had universal health care for the last 60 years and NOT have learned anything about it. It is almost as though the US politicians direct energy into NOT LEARNING about it. smh

You may have noticed that Canada is not part of this offensive in Syria but...we will probably be there to pick up the pieces. Canada decided a long time ago that while the main goal of the military has to be the safety and security of the Canadian people, outside of Canada, peacekeeping would be the goal of military missions.
Yes exactly. Something we don't understand is their way of life. That's just how they live, and have lived like that since the beginning. It's like trying to have a damn conversation with a lion to not eat people.

Syria 6 months 1 day ago #26912

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Yes exactly. Something we don't understand is their way of life. That's just how they live, and have lived like that since the beginning. It's like trying to have a damn conversation with a lion to not eat people.

I do believe in the moral imperative to act when we see crimes against humanity, such as the recent use of chemical weapons in Syria. Hopefully some of us ( the human race ) have learned from the past that the "best way for evil to triumph is for good people (and countries) to do nothing". There are still some govenrments that are hoping that other countries will leave them alone and "do nothing" even though they allow or encourage practices in their culture that are morally repugnant (such as marrying off children, selling children into the sex trade, female circumcision, death penalty for homosexuals, nonexistent environmental regulations etc).

However, it is my view that the way to bring about change is through supporting education and to set conditions for the receipt of foreign aid or global trade. This is the only way to bring about lasting change. The goal should not be to make them like us, BUT to improve the conditions for the oppressed, all the while encouraging and supporting the government to build a way of life within their own culture, that eliminates oppression.

Such changes must come from within the country. It requires leadership dedicated to principles NOT money or power, and a long term view as such changes may take several generations, BUT it can be done.

www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/...160316081809603.html

Frogs: Thanks for the opportunity to spout off and drag my soap box out again!

I was loosely paraphrasing Edmund Burke in my quote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nan70

BEV

#humboldtstrong
#torontostrong
Last edit: by bomalley.

Syria 6 months 1 day ago #26913

• Thefrogshateme
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Maybe the key here is to show compassion. Help them in other ways, not just by sending money, but help give them a life worth living. Not having to worry about them having to kill someone over food and water. Help make their life easier.

Syria 6 months 1 day ago #26916

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Thefrogshateme wrote: Maybe the key here is to show compassion. Help them in other ways, not just by sending money, but help give them a life worth living. Not having to worry about them having to kill someone over food and water. Help make their life easier.

YES the goal is to build capacity in the population so external support can be withdrawn. BUT it takes a long time.

BEV

#humboldtstrong
#torontostrong

Syria 6 months 1 day ago #26919

• Thefrogshateme
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

bomalley wrote:

Thefrogshateme wrote: Maybe the key here is to show compassion. Help them in other ways, not just by sending money, but help give them a life worth living. Not having to worry about them having to kill someone over food and water. Help make their life easier.

YES the goal is to build capacity in the population so external support can be withdrawn. BUT it takes a long time.
Hey bomalley, I have a question and this is completely unrelated because I know you used to be a nurse. My son is about a year and a half old, he was born at 24 weeks weighing 1.6 pounds, he is on a vent, gtube, trach, and all that not so fun stuff and now any pregnancy is high risk. She's pregnant with our second son now and she's at her 25 weeks now. We're scared to death about it happening again and she keeps asking me what back pain labor feels like and if heard burn, and checked her blood pressure and it's like 137/90. We keep scaring ourselves and taking her to the hospital spending 12 hours in the hospital for the only thing they give her is fluids. Is there a one type fits all criteria for having a baby? She was preterm because of preeclampsia and I know this is a hard question to answer, but we're tired of taking her to the hospital.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie

Last edit: by Thefrogshateme.

Syria 6 months 1 day ago #26924

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
It is normal to be anxious because of the last experience, BUT unless the experts have identified a reason for the last premature birth that will likely also affect this one...then, it is highly unlikely for it to happen again.

If she has been checked at the hospital everytime you go there and everything is fine...maybe you should both just relax and enjoy this pregnancy.

A bit of relaxation might help the blood pressure too (yours and hers!)

Keep all your doc/midwife appointments too. The evidence shows that good prenatal care improves outcomes AND you will want that blood pressure monitored. Hopefuly they have given you some guidelines for how to take it and when to go to the doc/midwife.

Is there a one type fits all criteria for having a baby?

NO, BUT remember MOST pregnancies proceed normally and result in a healthy baby.

It is your turn for that now.

BEV

#humboldtstrong
#torontostrong
Last edit: by bomalley.

Syria 6 months 21 hours ago #26926

• TianMiFeng
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Not to mention the fact that last Friday's attack was unconstitutional. Just because our representatives refuse to stand up to the President - this one, that one, and any one - does not change the fact that, according to the US Constitution, Congress must authorize any use of force against another country. We've gotten so far away from that that I wonder if we'll ever be able to go back (I mean the violations go back as far as Truman and the Korean War, maybe further). I think that the framers of our Constitution were wiser statesmen than any in power today. Personally, I don't think anyone should have a say in whether we attack another country, or not, unless they've either served in the military themselves or have a child who is/has. I know, I know...that's a pipedream but, G-d, is it frustrating to know that someone who sees only the glory in war is putting the lives of our young men and women at risk!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie

• Page:
Moderators: kemppaulh
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds