Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you're new to Kratom, this is the spot to ask questions and get more familiar.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned

Bookmark and Share

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 weeks ago #18069

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 986
Those of you who have read my posts may know that I have been thinking about helping out my elderly mother with Kratom. She has recently weaned herself off Codeine after a dependency of almost a decade. BUT she is still feeling like shit (her words). (Codeine 8mg is legal over the counter in Canada when mixed with Aspirin or Acetominophen and Caffeine)

My mother LIKES substances and anything that will give her a lift including alcohol. She seems to think that at 96 she should feel the same as she did at 30 AND she fails to recognize that her 96 year old body DOES NOT process these substances the way it might have done when she was younger.

I really, really struggled with the decision about introducing her to M. Speciosa...she has seen my improvement since being on the Kratom and has asked about taking it BUT I knew that if she did then I would be responsible for procuring it, filling capsules, keeping up her supply etc and I was unsure if I wanted to be burdened with that in addition to the other care duties looking after her and her affairs. BUT I finally decided that if this plant could help her then she deserved to spend the rest of her remaining days pain free and in a good mood so I asked her if she wanted to try it and she jumped at the chance
*****aside***
She wanted to try marijuana when I was exploring that option but I refused saying that we did not know how it would affect her and it could possibly change things for her so much that we might not get her back to normal. My own reaction to marijuana was entirely NEGATIVE AND it took me a few months to get myself back to normal.

So Saturday am she took about 1.3gm (4 capsules that I filled and measured ) and had good results in the first 90 minutes. She was feeling well, headaches and joint aches went away etc.

About 6 hours later she called me screaming in abdominal pain. The nurse at the facility sent her to hospital by ambulance.
NOTHING about her was abnormal except for high blood pressure (normal for her). The CAT scan showed nothing enlightening, her abdomen was soft, blood work normal.
At first they thought Gallbladder, then that changed to colon blockage. She had several doses of morphine (she loved that) and everything resolved in a few hours.

Since yesterday she has had no pain at all - no BM either ... they are waiting for that to happen to send her home. Last time I checked she was eating a soft diet.

I think this was just the Kratom doing its thing in her colon...somewhat delayed because she is elderly and everything proceeds slower. The dose was obviously too high for her.

I feel badly but at least we tried. She has not mentioned the stuff to the doctor or even to me but I am reluctant to have her try again...even at a lower dose.

Question to veterans who know more about the pharmacodynamics of the alkaloids in Mitragyna Speciosa (red borneo)...is this a possible reaction?

Also it is important to note that my mother has a VERY low pain tolerance and thinks getting her blood pressure taken is extremely painful. So, in my view, it is entirely possible that this was just a gut reaction to the Kratom in a very old person, with a very low pain tolerance

The other thing I have learned is that people like us (opioid tolerant) react differently to this opioid agonist than those who are not used to opiates, proving only that our bodies ARE affected in many complex ways by the drugs.

This event has changed my enthusiasm for sharing the news about this plant. From now on if someone is searching for an alternative they will find it just like we all did...if they do not find it on their own, they do not want to seek the alternative badly enough.

This event has not changed my enthusiasm for universal health care and I give thanks EVERY DAY for Tommy Douglas' (maternal grandfather to Keifer Sutherland) vision over half a century ago to bring universal health care to Canada! This whole event will cost my Mom $80 for the ambulance ride.

I do feel badly however, that she did take up a hospital bed for a few days that somebody else could have had.....someone who really needed it. BUT I am glad she is OK!
BEV
"Everybody is talking about pain killers, but nobody is talking about pain."
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by bomalley.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, FREEMEPLZ, kobegirl, MickeyW

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 weeks ago #18075

• kjdore
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150
I'm sorry to hear that you and your mother had this experience bomalley. With somebody that age it is hard to determine the source of a problem like that. Being a nurse I'm sure you are well aware of that. So many factors could have lead to that problem. I hope she is feeling better soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 weeks ago #18113

• Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
I'm curious about your negative experience with marijuana. Was it an edible? I know a lot of people try edibles and have bad experiences because it affects your body differently than smoking or vaping. When you eat pot it creates 11 hydroxy metabolite in your liver, which can be a significantly different experience (it can be frightening) vs. smoking/vaping. Also, it took you a few months to get back to normal? Sorry to divert the topic but I'm very curious to hear about your experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, kobegirl

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 weeks ago #18120

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
My first experience with Marijuana was with edibles that I made myself.

Plunged me into a severe depression diagnosed by a psychiatrist. Got out of that with help from my homeopath.

A year later physician still wants me off the opiates and says to try again..."this time go to a dispensary, they have a lot of knowledge there."

Within three days of sucking the recommended oil off the end of a toothpick I was swollen everywhere and red and itchy. It took lots of Benadryl and several months to get my immune system regulated back to normal again.

I have also tried extracts.

None of these things EVER did anything for pain. I used just as much oxycodone while taking marijuana as before.

All marijuana ever did for me was to lower my IQ by about 50 points and make me stupid. I am a avid advocate for legalization in Canada and our federal government is working on that, but it is not a miracle plant that advocates suggest and not everybody can or should take it.

Same with Mitragyna Speciosa I expect. While it has improved things dramatically for me...not so for everyone.

I also shared some Kratom with my DIL...she liked the experience (all the aches and pain went away) until after about 2 hours when she became quite nauseated. I have also experienced nausea with Kratom but only with the stimulating strains - not the red vein strains.

My mother is still in hospital...not sure why they are keeping her there. It certainly is NOT good for her to be in bed, although she loves it.

There is nothing abnormal about her but they are convinced she had a bowel obstruction that has now resolved. I am not convinced because her abdomen was soft and NOT tender. Pain was her only symptom which is very atypical for a bowel obstruction. And her bowels were moving regularly before this happened - also not typical for a bowel obstruction. She was NOT nauseated or vomiting - also atypical for a Bowel obstruction. JUST pain.

Just wondering if the alkaloids in Kratom could have caused this type of reaction? I have certainly experienced gastrointestinal distress from Kratom more than once, until I figured out how much and what strains to take, but I have never had abdominal pain.

I like my lungs too much to put any hot gases down there. I have spent lot of money on natural therapies to improve my lung function and have had much success - no bronchitis now for over 5 years and I used to get it regularly every 2 - 3 years so inhaling marijuana is out of the question for me.
BEV
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by bomalley.

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 weeks ago #18125

• Expert Boarder
I don't like smoking anything but I use a vape pen for concentrates. It's a pen that has a metal bowl that heats up and vaporizes the cannabis oil. I use this for migraines and it has been the only thing that has ever helped with migraines. I inhale such a tiny amount of vapor that I can barely feel anything in my lungs. (I have a low tolerance, 1 hit and that's it!) There may be a tiny amount of smoke created but it's barely noticeable.

I actually stumbled upon kratom in my search for a daytime (during working hours) pain reliever for my migraines. I'm an accountant and it's pretty much impossible to do my job after using cannabis.

The first few weeks I tried kratom I had all sorts of symptoms like headaches (like a hangover), nausea, constipation, etc. but most of those went away when I drank more water, lowered my dose a little, and took magnesium citrate at night to help with constipation. Now, I don't really experience any side effects. I think it's possible most people have an adjustment period with kratom when they first start using it and maybe that is what your mother and DIL experienced.

Hope your mom is feeling better.

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 weeks ago #18145

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
Moderator wrote:
I'm an accountant and it's pretty much impossible to do my job after using cannabis.

EXACTLY...but Kratom does not affect you that way I bet?
BEV

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 weeks ago #18155

• kobegirl
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 300
Bomalley How wonderful you still have your mom at that age. My dad is 88 and I don't think expects to live that long so she's doing great w that attitude. God bless you for trying but my system was whack after beginning Kratom and thinking you are totally right it was her body processing the Kratom. As u know I was having constipation gut aches and violent headaches getting imbalanced w dehydration and minerals.
I love mmj and it's helped me a lot w anxiety and depression but Kratom is way better for pain control.

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 weeks ago #18179

• Expert Boarder
bomalley wrote:
Moderator wrote:
I'm an accountant and it's pretty much impossible to do my job after using cannabis.

EXACTLY...but Kratom does not affect you that way I bet?

Kratom actually makes me enjoy and appreciate my job. I had regretted for a long time my decision to become a CPA but now I am able to focus on the positive aspects of my job. I am perfectly able to use Kratom and focus on work at the same time which was exactly what I was looking for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, bomalley

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 weeks ago #18194

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
GOOD NEWS!

My mother is worse and had much abdominal pain last night.

Now I know this is not something to be happy about BUT it does prove that her condition was NOT caused by the Kratom after all. It could be that her Kratom dose helped something that was already there appear early, BUT did not cause anything.

Now they just have to figure out what is going on, and I can let go of the guilt!
Attachments:
BEV
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by bomalley. Reason: add picture

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 1 week ago #18527

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
Just as an update, my mother is home from hospital. She was diagnosed with a small bowel obstruction, probably from adhesions as she had surgery about 20 yrs ago. Apparently it resolved itself so no surgery was needed. Surgeon was reluctant to operate on a 96 yr old anyway.

She has lost a LOT of strength from being in bed so long. Did you know you lose 17% of your muscle strength for every day in bed?

Now she faces the task of getting her strength back. She is not one to really push herself, somehow I see a wheelchair in her future.
BEV
  • Page:
Moderators: Marie C, kemppaulh
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds