Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you're new to Kratom, this is the spot to ask questions and get more familiar.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned

Bookmark and Share

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 5 days ago #18649

• Laurie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have a better day!
  • Thank you received: 1136
Great photo. I look older than your mother! Not fair (tantrum). Love your stories, BoMalley. Mine are interesting as well, but not fit for the group, LOL. Mine is a handful as well, so I moved in! Haha! Too much of a good thing! Haha! Maybe if it comes out the kratom was not the issue, maybe try the tea version? She may benefit from it just fine in strained form. Not to add ANOTHER chore to YOUR list. Mine tried it for a couple of days, then she got ahold of something stronger and ditched the tea. Her excuse was classic: "it might make my (already yellow) teeth get stained". LOL She won't try my tooth whitener, either. Or real food. Or this. Or that. Only pain meds of the finest quality ;-/
I hope mine still gives me headaches at 90 anything.

That is a testament to Canadian medicine, your Mom's photo. Thanks for sharing the story with as much humor as I do when I write my best girlfriend each day with, "guess what Mom is doing now/or not doing now!" Never a dull moment, that's for sure! I hope you get yours diagnosed and returned home soon!
Laurie
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kobegirl

Kratom Lessons- it helps withdrawal DUH! 6 months 4 days ago #18693

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 986
Today my mother thinks I am "the lady with the lamp".

WHY?

Because I suggested to her that perhaps the reason she was feeling so shitty since she got out of the hospital is because she was withdrawing from narcotics! Her words were "Honestly I think I am dying."

After over 20 years of regular codeine intake and then morphine in the hospital this past 10 days you cannot just stop and feel good.

I suggested she try the KRATOM again only a smaller dose this time - 2 caps ( approx 750 mg)

"It was like MAGIC" - her words. Then when she started to feel bad again later in the day, she repeated the dose and within an hour was feeling well once more.

Now if that doesn't prove she was in withdrawal....well I don't know what does!

So now we just have to figure out how to keep her going with this and manage constipation....that will definitely be an issue. But we have many other plants at our disposal for that too!

So probably it will be a combination of the capsules and tea. I can manage that with weekly visits.

Hopefully if she is feeling better she will spend more time on her feet and less time in her chair...that would definitely help get her strength back
BEV
"Everybody is talking about pain killers, but nobody is talking about pain."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, kobegirl

Kratom Lessons- it helps withdrawal DUH! 6 months 3 days ago #18701

• Laurie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have a better day!
Loving the update! So glad you didn't give up!
My Mom also enjoyed the tea when she was out of alternatives. But she went back when her options changed, claiming the tea will yellow her teeth (she has an excuse for an excuse).
Please keep us posted and GOOD LUCK! You girls are inspiring for my "Grey Gardens" life here!
Hugs!
Laurie (and Mom ;)
Laurie

Kratom Lessons- it helps withdrawal DUH! 6 months 3 days ago #18703

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
Well today she is really befuddled...not confused, or disoriented but just unable to get her thoughts out articulately.

She thought the Kratom was making her mixed up...not likely.

She is however, VERY constipated (so what else is new)...so that might do it. Certainly constipation can make someone with dementia go into delirium BUT she does not have dementia.

I just need to get her settled down after this hospitalization then it should be smooth sailing from there.

Honestly Laurie, yesterday she told me she was dying she felt so awful.

I honestly think it is her anxiety that gets her so befuddled. I have her on the Red Borneo....that should calm her down?
BEV

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 3 days ago #18704

• intrepid1
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 159
Bomalley,
I understand your concern about getting your mom up and moving around again. It's so hard to hold ground at that age, much less make up for that which has been lost. It's incredible that she has no signs of dementia. So many children and parents are fighting that battle these days.

In looking through this thread, I remembered what I'd been curious about the first time through. You mentioned that she regularly took (a lot?) of an OTC codeine product for decades, and liked the effects of alcohol. When and why did she stop? Does she use caffeine or alcohol at all now? It must be difficult to manage anxiety without movement. If I'm getting too nosy please say so!

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 6 months 2 days ago #18740

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
intrepid1 wrote:
Bomalley,
I understand your concern about getting your mom up and moving around again. It's so hard to hold ground at that age, much less make up for that which has been lost. It's incredible that she has no signs of dementia. So many children and parents are fighting that battle these days.

In looking through this thread, I remembered what I'd been curious about the first time through. You mentioned that she regularly took (a lot?) of an OTC codeine product for decades, and liked the effects of alcohol. When and why did she stop? Does she use caffeine or alcohol at all now? It must be difficult to manage anxiety without movement. If I'm getting too nosy please say so!

Not nosy at all.

She stopped taking alcohol because she started to hallucinate....I checked with a pharmacist about some new medication that was being injected into her eye as she was convinced it was making her hallucinate. Pharmacist said "this sounds like a combination of alcohol and a narcotic!" and it was at this point that she finally got honest about how much of what she was using.

Now this was many years ago and I know that she has been using alcohol again "to get some sleep" But we are talking really small amounts here. I know because I buy it!

She weaned herself off the OTC codeine (just in the last month) because she could not stand the constipation. Never mind that she has been constipated her whole life...she has to blame it on something!

She has chronic pain in her shoulder radiating to her head, probably from a surgery on her left arm over 80 yrs ago. Her spine is terribly crooked that does not help either. The plan was to keep her medicated with small amounts of codeine to prevent flares when she would use larger amounts of codeine (prescription Tylenol #3). It worked well until she decided to change it.

She probably had a migraine yesterday...that explained her difficulty with speech...not a stroke. She is not taking Kratom anymore, just plain Tylenol...I am not sure WHY as she denies pain.

So you can see my biggest difficulty with her is that I put all these preventative actions in place and they work quite well...then she decides she doesn't need to do that anymore and changes things.

Very Frustrating. About 6 months ago I put the ball back in her court. Everything that happens to her now is her choice and she is accountable for the results.

Dementia is NOT part of aging...it is pathology not a normal part of aging. The prevalence of dementia increases as you age BUT less than 10% of the elderly population (over 65) has dementia, meaning that 90 percent of elderly people do not have it (Canadian stats).

Thankfully it is not prevalent in our family...but you never know what you have to look forward to! I wish I could say the same for other mental illnesses. Depression and anxiety reign supreme in my gene pool!
BEV

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 5 months 1 week ago #19408

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
Just as a update, my mother finally accepted that withdrawal was at the foundation of her "bad days" and she is using small amounts of Kratom (in capsules) and feeling MUCH better for it!

She decides when and how much to take, and I keep her supplied!

That makes two Kratom success stories in my family!
BEV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Nessa, kobegirl

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 5 months 6 days ago #19418

• Laurie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have a better day!
Thank you for posting the news on your Mom, BoMalley! Really great to hear! I hope she continues with the fiber/supplement use as well, to help her continue to benefit in every way!!! How are YOU doing these days?!

I posted a sad reply about my own Mom here. Right after I read your post. I think it was my way of praying for my own Mom. It was too personal and I thankfully deleted it. But it WAS helpful to post my feelings for that hour. Things really turned around and Mom is depressed still, but up and TRYING. I've been terribly worried, but she is smarter than many people and doesn't need her 52 year old kid giving advice from a place of no formal education.

I get my stubborn nature from my Mom :)))

Thank you for answering my prayers today.

Hug your Mom for me, BoMalley. And hugs to you, too!
Laurie
Laurie
The following user(s) said Thank You: kobegirl

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 5 months 6 days ago #19420

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
Laurie wrote:
Thank you for posting the news on your Mom, BoMalley! Really great to hear! I hope she continues with the fiber/supplement use as well, to help her continue to benefit in every way!!! How are YOU doing these days?!

I posted a sad reply about my own Mom here. Right after I read your post. I think it was my way of praying for my own Mom. It was too personal and I thankfully deleted it. But it WAS helpful to post my feelings for that hour. Things really turned around and Mom is depressed still, but up and TRYING. I've been terribly worried, but she is smarter than many people and doesn't need her 52 year old kid giving advice from a place of no formal education.

I get my stubborn nature from my Mom :)))

Thank you for answering my prayers today.

Hug your Mom for me, BoMalley. And hugs to you, too!
Laurie

The challenge for my mother will be to continue with what is working and not go changing her mind about things and doing something differently for who knows what reason! Sometimes I think she just goes ahead and changes things because she is bored?!?! She certainly has enough time on her hands to overthink things and that is part of the problem.

I was not doing too well there for awhile and feeling quite down because things seemed to be going backwards. I had started back on the oxy I was so desperate and could not get the pain under control.

Then out of desperation I decided that I should go to the chiropractor because that was the only thing I had not tried and BINGO...feeling great again!

I was quite surprised because usually when I need to see the chiro I am quite crooked but that was not the case this time so I think that is an improvement. Physio is working well too and she says that my adjustments are holding. Certainly I feel much better and have much less pain since she began straightening out my thorax.

I have started reducing my Kratom doses down to 2-3-Gm and sometimes I only need to dose 2 times per day.

So all in all things are moving in the right direction for me too!
BEV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie

Kratom for the elderly - Lessons learned 4 months 3 weeks ago #19706

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
And today the news from mother was that she did not want to take this stuff anymore because it was too "binding". Even though she has a bowel management program in place to manage that.

She said she will use plain Tylenol for pain management.

Not sure what she is planning to do about withdrawal.

My response..."Sounds like you know what is best for you but I will leave these capsules here for you just in case."

And the story goes on, and on, and on........
BEV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie
  • Page:
Moderators: Marie C, kemppaulh
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds