07 Feb 2019
Hey everybody,

Over the last 7 years this forum has grown exponentially. With your help, We have created a community of Kratom enthusiasts to come together and discuss the industry. The traffic that this site has received has been exciting but also overwhelming. All the while the site grew a little out of date. Over the last few weeks we have updated the platform of the Forum as well as the face of the forum. CHECK OUT THAT NEW LOGO!!! sweet right?!

We could use your help though...
Read More...
If you're new to Kratom, this is the spot to ask questions and get more familiar.
  • Page:
Bookmark and Share

TOPIC: Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies?

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 3 days ago #34860

• HotOtter
  • HotOtter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hi,
First off, a huge thanks to everyone running this forum. I’ve been observing from afar the past couple months and it has been the best resource I’ve found for all my questions on what has truly been a life-altering experience.

So yes, I have horrible hives, am pretty sure they’re Kratom-related, and am scared shitless bc this medicine is one of the best things I’ve ever stumbled upon. (Like many: former user, chronic pain, severe anxiety and depression.)
If you don’t want to read thru everything below, Laurie posted about this awhile back and her post pretty much covers my line of inquiry: www.ilovekratom.com/kratom-forum/introdu...s-there-a-connection

I’ve taken Kratom for about two months now. Had one very minor 3-4 day bout of hives (manageable) and switched strains. Presto. But last week the hives came on angry (ankles to mid thigh and wrists to mid- bicep, as well as a bit on the stomach). Got to the point of truly unmanageable and I had to stop Kratom for 3-4 days. Am currently on day 4 of Prednisone. Those 3-4 days were godawful—productivity dipped, slept too long, just went back to the unenjoyable, stress-ridden life I had pre-Kratom.
I started taking small doses of a new strand last night and I can feel the hives creeping back a bit. The effects of the Kratom outweigh those of the hives, but that won’t be the case once I’m off Prednisone.
I learned that I have a very high tolerance (I’m 200 lbs., FWIW) and am trying to cut down usage not bc I want to but simply to keep the hives at bay (so about 5-6 grams 3x a day now).
BUT... I really cannot imagine how awful my life could get if I went back to my pre-Kratom self. I’ve been alcohol-free a year and a half but still have trouble functioning without pills if I don’t have Kratom.
Kratom has made me a better and more productive person, and my family can see the difference night and day. SO... has anyone experienced this and come up with a solution that did not involve quitting Kratom? ... The only thing I’ve got right now is that maybe I should switch to extracts so that I’m taking much less K in volume, but I have no idea if that’ll work.
Or perhaps some long term, potent, natural antihistamines? (I don’t know the first thing...)

Also worth noting that I’ve got a pretty crappy immune system and respond to poison ivy as if it were one step short of the plague (one spot spreads to whole body, encompasses me in flames for weeks. I don’t even eat mangoes bc of the toxin connection between their skin and poison ivy).

Oh, and I didn’t mention any vendors bc it’s not a “bad strain” that is doing this. I’ve done my homework and love the vendor recs I’ve gotten on this site. But perhaps someone with this experience knows of a specific vendor/strain that they go to when hives pop up...?

Anyway, your feedback would be truly appreciated. Thanks for creating a great community. Happy to be a part of it. ✌️
-Nick
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Tiggermanscrat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 3 days ago #34861

• Jazzfan1
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 369
The first thing I would do is stop all Kratom Extracts and go with pure Leaf only. Regular ground leaf... it is ok to take the amount of grams you are taking.... just try stopping all extracts...

Plain leaf will help...

My guess is extracts are too much...

Regular leaf all the way ( sourced from good vendors)

Good Luck.. let us know how you are doing...

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 3 days ago #34862

• HotOtter
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, JF. I actually am just taking plain ground leaf at the moment. One of the strains I have is “enhanced”, but it was plain leaf that started this... and I have no issue with leaving the extracts behind, if you think that’ll help.

Could you please explain what you mean by extracts being too much? The only reason i’ve tried some “enhanced” ones is bc I was needing about 10g of regular a dose to even begin to feel anything, which seemed excessive given my lack of experience... just wondering why the extract would be the culprit.

Thanks again!

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 3 days ago #34869

• Jazzfan1
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 369
HotOtter, I am sorry I mis-understood. I thought you were taking extracts. I thought that could be the cause.

I think you should try some different vendors just to see if you have a different experience. Some approved vendors I have ordered from in the last month who have awesome quality Kratom are...
Re-Leaf LLC
PharmacyDropOut(PDO)
Gold Leaf/ In Sense Botanicals
These 3 vendors have excellent High quality plain leaf that has been tested for contaminants. All approved vendors on ILK Forum have been and currently test all the Kratom they sell to the public.
So, if you are still getting hives from Kratom, I am not sure what you can do.

But, there are many here on ILK Forum that have years of experience with Kratom. It is amazing how much I have learned from them.

Aviod tintures and extracts. It is not good to take your Kratom in that way. Natural plain leaf is the best way to go. It is OK if you use the amount of plain leaf you are using. The point is with quality vendors you won't have to use that much. Try some ILK approved vendors and see for yourself. These vendors have really high quality Kratom.

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 3 days ago #34872

• Laurie
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Have a better day!
  • Thank you received: 6207
Welcome back to the best kratom forum ever, HotOtter!

I dreamed about hives last night.! How awful. I remember when it scared me to death that it might be kratom. My dream was about another time when I FORGOT I’m allergic to having eyelash extensions and had them put on AGAIN. Oh YEAHHHH. OMG

I’d definitely be looking at alternatives like akuamma and kanna might be the better route to get CLOSE to kratom without actually BEING kratom.

I forgot what I wrote, but I sure remember that time. You research akuamma and kanna if you have not yet. I’m going to go read what I wrote back then (I can’t believe you found it!) and see if that reminds me of anything else we can do. Thanks for posting! I’m so sorry this is why!
Laurie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiggermanscrat

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 3 days ago #34873

• Laurie
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Have a better day!
You were fine taking kratom BEFORE THIS, right?

Stress is the leading cause of hives.

Kratom is inflaming it, and will continue to. But it’s not the cause.

Look at everything else going on in your life,

Something is off, causing your body to eliminate all foreign substances.

Kratom is not likely SUDDENLY causing your hives. You’ve been taking it quite some time, right?

I have some ideas for you to order temporary substitutes right away. But, those hives will keep recurring until you stop all aggravators and healing is NOT OVERNIGHT. Huge symptom relief maybe.

How could it be the kratom after you’ve used it just fine?

I’ll check back with you about alternatives that will relieve you. But ANXIETY is likely inflaming your hives. Making them worse.

Let’s sew what you say and I’ve got ideas of what you can order TODAY, but they are substances and ADDING substances is not going to fix this.

DIG DEEP into your mind for what is a STRESSOR recently that will not go away.
Laurie

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 3 days ago #34874

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3559
I think you should definitely give your immune system a break ...you are NOT doing it any favors by continuing to take the Kratom and then suppressing the immune response with antihistamines.

having said that I think it is likely that there could be something in the Kratom you are buying that is causing this....someone has suggested a different vendor and I would agree. (Have you tried that already?)

Also stay away from yellows and golds...they are fermented and could have just enough mold or mildew to cause an allergic reaction in someone as sensitive as you are. I once had a terrible allergic reaction to cannabis - CBD oil - dip the toothpick in the oil and suck off three times a day. It did nothing for pain BUT BOY did my immune system react! I thought I was allergic to cannabis BUT it turns out I wasn't, so there had to be something in that product I was using.

Your crappy immune system needs work. It did not get like that by itself. Besides being sensitive (and some of us are - I would bet there are a whole lot of us sensitive types on this forum!) there are likely some factors in your history that have caused your immune systemn to overreact.

Steroids and antibiotics are the main culprits. So even though the prednisone works to suppress the immune reaction NOW it does no favors to your immune system in the long run.

Have you ever been treated by a naturopathic physician? or a nutritionally focused practitioner? I am certain there is some help for you with that approach. I took that route over 30 years ago and I shudder to think where I would be without those interventions. ACK! what a mess I was then (your story sounds so familiar1).

The best thing you can do for your immune system at this time is to stop the Kratom and use some alternative for pain. (Get OFF the prednisone as asoon as you can).
Also start taking probiotics for your colon health. Most of your immune system lives in your colon and without the right balance of good bacteria, your immune system is doomed!

Restoring your colon health with probiotics takes a long time and requires some adjustment to diet and supplements as well. I won't go into it here because I do not know what you have already done or what your knowledge base is about this, but there is a lot you can do on your own. However, I think the guidance of a good natural health practitioner is always useful.

BTW...Laurie is right about stress, and the relationship to hives. BUT not all people under stress react this way, so there has to be something in YOUR immune system causing this reaction.

Like I said - Your crappy immune system needs work.

DISCLAIMER - I am NOT a physician, just a friendly voice with an above average understanding of human physiology willing to share what I have learned through the years through my own journey AND that journey spans at least 37 years.
BEV

#humboldtstrong
#torontostrong

Last edit: by bomalley.

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 3 days ago #34876

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3559

Jazzfan1 wrote: HotOtter,
Aviod tintures and extracts. It is not good to take your Kratom in that way.

The best advice we give here I think...BUT when you are in constant pain .....

Anyway I think it all boils down to responsible use and responsible use requires knowledge, which is what we share here, along with our own personal experience.
BEV

#humboldtstrong
#torontostrong

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 3 days ago #34889

• HotOtter
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you all so much for the input.

JF, I took your advice and placed an order with Gold Leaf. Rob was great—obviously couldn’t diagnose it over the phone but told me to trash all my existing Kratom and “clean the shit out of” any scales, tools, storage, etc. I did all that, with the exception of trashing a few unopened bags, which I’m storing elsewhere to be safe. He also said it could be my particular system, which, as bomalley points out, is probably the case. (And I believe that’s the case, just knowing my body.)

Laurie—yes, I’ve had significant stressors recently, although Kratom seems to be the best cure. Mainly work-related, including lack of sleep.

And yes, I had a few months of taking it without any hives.

I’d certainly be interested in what stress relievers you recommend so that I can get back to Kratom soon. I’ve been on Valium the past 5 years or so, but actually wasn’t needing it at all for the first time in those 5 years when Kratom was working for me. I don’t have any addictive issues w benzos, so maybe I’ll try that to mitigate stress a bit. I just don’t like the lethargy it brings on.

I know bomalley is completely right that I shouldn’t be combining the steroids and Kratom. But an issue at play is that the next 2 days of my work are, unfortunately, kind of make or break for my career. So I’d be lying if i said I wasn’t going to take the bare minimum of Kratom up until Wednesday night just to get thru this critical period. That said, I’d be fine going back on painkillers for a week just to flush the Kratom and deal with my pain (I make no exaggeration in saying that today is the worst it’s been in nearly a decade and I can barely get out of bed, although I can walk once I’ve straightened my body out).

Actually, I just made an appt. with my doctor for an hour from now. Back pain is getting worse and worse. My wife is coming with so if I get prescribed any opiates (doubtful) she’ll police them for me. Sorry to be such a mess over here!

My doctor knows nothing about Kratom, other than his opinion that I should quit it as it’s probably the cause of the hives.

And noted on staying away from yellow and gold.

Ok, will report back soon. Very interested to hear what natural remedies worked for you, Laurie.

Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 6 months 2 days ago #34891

• Laurie
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Have a better day!
Yep. The “make or break” job stuff is the culprit. Your body is aware that you are not managing stress/toxins.

I’m glad you’re seeing the dr.

Of course you need to stop aggravating the hives by continued kratom use. You could end up at the ER or worse.

Please listen to the dr.
Laurie

• Page:
Moderators: kemppaulh
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds