07 Feb 2019
Hey everybody,

Over the last 7 years this forum has grown exponentially. With your help, We have created a community of Kratom enthusiasts to come together and discuss the industry. The traffic that this site has received has been exciting but also overwhelming. All the while the site grew a little out of date. Over the last few weeks we have updated the platform of the Forum as well as the face of the forum. CHECK OUT THAT NEW LOGO!!! sweet right?!

We could use your help though...
Read More...
If you're new to Kratom, this is the spot to ask questions and get more familiar.
  • Page:
Bookmark and Share

TOPIC: Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies?

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 7 months 1 week ago #37925

• seven100
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 218
I don't really have anything constructive to add to the conversation other than to say that I had a similar experience. About 5 months into my kratom journey I developed a rash on my right wrist and then a couple days later on my left wrist, and then the rash began traveling up my arms. It skipped my shoulders and went to the boob and stomach area and then I got it on my knees. This progression took several weeks.

I suspected it was the kratom and I kind of just figured, Welp, this is just how it is now, because kratom was making my life so much better in so many other ways that I just couldn't imagine giving it up. Uggh, I hope I express this well enough. I feel like it's hard to explain.

Kratom actually gives me a huge amount of relief from my seasonal allergies. I was able to stop using Flonase, an expensive product that only worked marginally to begin with, but then the rash.
Eventually I determined (mad scientist right @Laurie ) that it was the kratom and stopped for two weeks. That was more difficult, and yet easier than I expected. Baseline was the reason I began taking kratom in the first place, so experiencing all those old aches and pains again took away a lot of joy.

The rash cleared up and I decided to go for it again. I tried a new vendor and didn't have any problems. As an experiment, I briefly went back to the old product just to see what was what, and sure enough, itchy spots on my wrists. Maybe its not even the vendor, maybe its the harvest season? I have no idea.

I have read that kratom is packed with histimines, and for some folks it evidently makes allergies worse. For me, it makes seasonal allergies go away, but I've definitely experienced something else, something itchy. I consider the seasonal allergy relief as much of a benefit as the pain relief. I have no idea why some strains make me break out. No idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Tiggermanscrat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 7 months 1 week ago #37932

• HotOtter
  • HotOtter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hi @seven100,
Thanks very much for weighing in. Comforting to know that my experience wasn't some sort of inexplicable anomaly. The histamine thing makes sense.

I had that horrible rash experience that, like yours, lasted a few weeks and spread and spread... I understand what you mean about your initial reaction being one of disbelief and horror. The depression I felt about this miracle thing disappearing from my life just kind of left me hopeless for several days.

Now that I look back on it, of course, it was just a little blip on the radar. It hasn't happened since that last breakout (several months now), and I comfortably take it every day. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again, but now I know that I just need to completely clean out my system and I'll be good eventually.

It's weird that this side affect happens to so few people, but presents so intensely when it does -- and also that no one seems to really be able to explain it in full. Perhaps as popularity grows and kratom is studied more, a more official diagnosis for this allergy may come to light. Either way, so glad I didn't have to quit! And glad for you too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, seven100, Tiggermanscrat

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 7 months 1 week ago #37936

• Laurie
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Have a better day!
  • Thank you received: 8015
I appreciate this topic on a very personal, itchy level. You explained it perfectly, Seven100. I recall how my thoughts were exactly the same! Especially because it was a newish herb TO ME still. Didn’t know the histamine issue until about a month ago!

I STILL see a hematologist (!!) annually because my dr at that time thought I had leukemia (!!) when he saw my blemishes. The hematologist has not been of any need (thankfully) besides making sure my anemia stays mild (also unknown anomaly).

It was SO SCARY and upsetting during my newly clean time off of illicit pain medication use. I was sure I was doomed to relapse while waiting it out. I think maybe I did, since I only just got 2 yrs straight in March!

My mystery hives go way back to when I was an infant. From what I’m told, obviously.

Even a few weeks ago, I was able to try an antidepressant AGAIN that had once been the cause of my hives. The trigger, I guess. I tried that medication again and no hives! It still sucked and we are moving on to others! But. It was scary/weird to know it might all start AGAIN!

I don’t think I’ll ever know why I get them now and then, either. But when WE do, WATCH OUT! Cut kratom use immediately! At least now we know what NOT TO DO FOR SURE! There is THAT!

I’m so grateful that we are all hive-free! It’s very stressful and the stress aggravates the hives!

Now WE KNOW we can use kratom again...just NOT DURING HIVES!
Laurie
The following user(s) said Thank You: seven100, Tiggermanscrat

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 7 months 1 week ago #37939

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3696
I only have this to add....

I had a terrible allergic reaction too...but to Cannabis not Kratom.

Turns out I am NOT allergic to Cannabis but there was probably something in the CBD oil I reacted too. It took months to get my immune system back into peak performance.

So I think that allergic reactions to kratom have more to do with what other things are in there besides the leaf of the mitragyna speciosa tree.

I have noticed that there are different aromas from the same strain from different vendors. IF they were all PURE then they should smell/taste quite similar but they don't.

I stick with vendors that test their product and sell products that have a consistent smell, taste, and appearance.

BTW...the allergic response I am referring to was when I was dipping a toothpick in the CBD oil and sucking it off three times per day. SO whatever was in there, I got a very MINUTE dose and it was a very DRAMATIC reaction.

also found this interesting explanation of allergy, pseudo allergy and adverse effect.

www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/jeffre...gy-or-adverse-effect
BEV

#humboldtstrong
#torontostrong
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Tiggermanscrat

Last edit: by bomalley.

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 5 months 2 hours ago #41394

• Tiggermanscrat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • AKA Don
  • Thank you received: 1557
I am commenting in this thread because I was able to cut the lawn today. :huh:

This is something that I do not do because of severe allergies to almost all pollens since I was a kid.
But I had to cut it today because my wife has not been able to do it in months, because of her spine surgery, and my son-in-law was busy.

The few times I have cut it in the past I would normally wear a heavy duty filter mask and swimmers goggles to keep the pollen out of my system. Today I was in a hurry so I didn't take these normal precautions. :ohmy:
I can't believe it but I had no problems with sneezing, my breathing, or my eyes swelling and feeling like sand was in them.
Could the kratom actually be helping me to overcome my allergies? Similar to the way an allergist gives shots to force your system to build up a tolerance to what you are allergic to. This would be great if it were to actually help with my allergies. :-bd

In my teenage, MJ smoking, days my chest would break out in a rash and the whites of my eyes would turn red. That was kind of annoying when I was trying to hide it from my family. :woohoo:

I can't even trim hedges without wearing long sleeves because if the clippings fell across my skin it would cause very itchy welts. :(

So it looks like I will be able to cut the grass now to make up for all the years my wife has been stuck doing it. :)
My Grandkids say I’m a cuckoo head. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 5 months 2 hours ago #41397

• Laurie
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Have a better day!
I would tread lightly with the mowing commitment until you have succeeded more than one time. From some of the experiences shared here, I concluded that NOTHING is consistent across the board.

Kratom is as unreliable for allergies as it is for everything else.

I would definitely stay wary as the histamines in kratom have unknown benefits to all of us. Wouldn’t that be something if it ALSO kills off allergies?!

The Eff Dee Yay would have a FIT with that news?! Haha
Laurie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiggermanscrat

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 5 months 2 hours ago #41398

• Tiggermanscrat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • AKA Don
  • Thank you received: 1557
Yup,
It may only be wishful thinking on my part. :-?

If it doesn't work then I guess I'll just hire a service because I'm not letting my babe do it anymore. :x
My Grandkids say I’m a cuckoo head. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie

Kratom and hives — allergy, remedies? 5 months 32 minutes ago #41400

• Laurie
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Have a better day!
It’s just so random. No knowing if kratom has anything to do with it. Especially since histamines tend to make matters WORSE, not BETTER.
Laurie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiggermanscrat

• Page:
Moderators: kemppaulh
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds