08 Dec 2012
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND...
A few months ago we asked some of the Approved Vendors to offer some discounts to our community. A lot of them graciously did. We have been asked to bring those discounts back. The following vendors would like to share the love for this forum with you. I know we all appreciate it.
Read More...
This section is for Forum and Kratom industry news and announcements.
  • Page:
Bookmark and Share

TOPIC: Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 3 weeks ago #23595

• roadieratonga
  • roadieratonga's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 651
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Donut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 3 weeks ago #23598

• kemppaulh
  • Thank you received: 811
My thought on this is that, though it's a well-written argument, the FDA is acting as a tool of Big Pharma and they are not into listening or changing their position. And besides, the decision now has been passed to the DEA, which is why the American Kratom Association chose to appeal to them to seriously do an independent study of the science and not just rubberstamp what the FDA is leaning on them to do.

The DEA was miffed last year that the recommendation they got from the FDA to ban kratom was not based on a realistic appraisal of the miniscule impact of kratom abuse, compared to the many serious and responsible consumers they heard from. It caused them embarrassment and that may influence them not to be so quick to go along with what FDA wants. So, with DEA, we have a chance -- and they have a statutory requirement to do a thorough "independent" analysis of their own.

So, we have a good chance of success if we get our Congressional reps to sign on to this letter, the Pocan/LoBiondo Dear Colleague letter in healthy numbers. We have more time, as suggested by Congressman Pocan, to gain more signatures between now and the end of the first week of January. Both he and we at the AKA will be working to make that happen. Please join us.

If each of us makes a phone call or two to our Congressman or -woman, that's a lot easier than raising and spending a million-and-a-quarter dollars on a court fight to stay and reverse a ban!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Donut, roadieratonga

;)

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 3 weeks ago #23600

• holycow#1
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 371
That's the truth its up to kratom users to contact their congressional leaders to sign onto the Pocan/LoBiondo dear colleague letter to the DEA to review the science! Not the lies and misinformation of the anti kratom campaign. The members and guests of this site alone could make the difference holycow31
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Donut, roadieratonga

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 3 weeks ago #23603

• Chemist4hire
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
I have always been skeptical in our ability to override the FDA, DEA, CIA, FBI and any other 3 letter acronym gov organization until now.

I have used Kratom for 10 years and I have seen the FDA/DEA attack many herbal alkaloids including Papaver Somniferum and all containing alkaloids within are currently in the schedule 1 placement. It's nothing new to see FDA do their buddies at pharmaceutical companies a huge favor after all they both benefit greatly from keeping alternatives to pharmaceuticals out of citizens reach forcing all to go through pharma companies or else be thrown in jails.

Being a former pharmaceutical engineer, i have seen some sleazy deals between biotech labs and pharmaceutical product agreements.

i remember this one substance that i believe now can be obtained through research chemical labs in china was called U4-7701 and it was a fentanyl based thebaine synthetic derivative analog which had an indol structure that of Heroin(diacetylmorphine) but only a half life of 30 minutes, it was the equivelent in my opinion of powdered Opiate like crack and had a similar absorbtion rate and probably worse chemical depletion of serotonin, endorphin's and dopamine.

this drug was approved for FDA stamp approval in less than 2 days.

what im getting at with this story is:

right after the speach from FDA about the united states having a severe opiate and opioid epidemic what do they do try to ban Kratom which is not an opiate or opioid and then create a new synthetic of fentanyl called ZOHYDRO ER or HCL im sure they even made the NAsal sprays.

ITs 5 times stronger than Diacetylmorphine/Morphine, so id say around 5 times stronger than oxymorphone opioid pills.

its a 24 hour release opioid synthetic of the opium poppy alkaloid: Thebaine structurally similar to morphine and codeine.
This should show everyone the FDA doesn't care about saftey whatsoever. never have and never will unless someone makes them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kemppaulh, Laurie, Donut, roadieratonga

#IAmKratom #KeepKratomLegal
"Kratom is a safe and does not cause respitory depression. Kratom is a mildly addicting substance, comparable to Caffeine, it is my belief that Kratom does NOT fit within the CSA scheduled list I-V."
- DR. Henningfeild (kratom expert) Organic Chemist and scientist.

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 3 weeks ago #23604

• kemppaulh
I agree. Persuading the DEA not to schedule is a longshot, but worth a try. Ultimately, it's up to Congress to keep kratom legal in the face of the FDA's desire to schedule (ban) it, as a favor to Big Pharma.

If it does get scheduled, then things get really expensive, but still win-able.

I like your point about the FDA approving Zohydro, while trying to ban kraton, effectively showing how little they care for safety. "Show us the MONEY!" they say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Donut, roadieratonga, Chemist4hire

;)

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 3 weeks ago #23617

• roadieratonga
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I have been hearing the FDA is the most heavily lobbied department in our government and many reps are gun shy when it comes to standing up to them. Figure there is only 3 businesses that deal in product vs 10 that produce food and drugs that want it produced as fast, cheap as possible for a big returns. This fight really is as much of a test of how much power "we the people have" Vs how much power/money corporate entities have.
If this fight becomes a loss then my last strand of faith in this countries system is all but gone. Seems this might as well be France in the 17,00's as far as the peoples rights are concerned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie

“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 4 days ago #24451

• Chemist4hire
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
It is cool that those two congressmen are standing up to the FDA but I know the FDA will not retract their statments made about kratom no matter if science proves it otherwise or how absurd Scott Gottlieb's statemnet was!

They have never admitted doing wrong before and wont start now, Remember this is the same agency that has made claims such as:

"Marijuana is dangerous and just as addictive as heroin"

(recently) and

"Cannabis make you rape kids and steal for the pot needle"(1970's).

our very own attorney general: Jeff Sessions said in 2016 that

good people don't smoke marijuana only bad people do

and

first it starts with them smoking pot then they start listening to swing music and dancing with the colored folk

Yes That was actually said just a year ago, and that was a public statement so don't forget what we are up against.

Lets not forget that the FDA has demonized marijuana for over 80 years and refused to look at the science, they simply refuse to accept any science that has been conducted outside the FDA same as how it's going for Kratom.

The FDA is not going to just do the right thing! they just ban and schedule as well as approve substances to make money off it while cutting out the competition for big pharma by making synthetics of plants and outlawing any natural form of any plant. You may not know this about the Schedule list but nearly every single substance banned is chemicals, alkaloids, indoles, oxindoles, and entheogens within Natural plants and if not its derived from them or created from alkaloids within a plant made by our pharmaceutical companies and later banned and patient!
Bet you didn't know that all pain pills and opiates/opioids come from a plant called the papaver somniferum inside the pod from a mature plant. They take the milk from it and inside is: Morphine, Codeine, Papaverine and Thebaine. All pain pills are made straight from these unaltered and also synthetically altered like Hydrocodone for instance is made from Thebaine which normally gets you sick by itself, but they change the molecular chemistry of it to make it structurally similar to morphine.
They make synthetics and ban all naturals, its what the DEA, FDA and BigPharma collaborate to do every time.
Now we have Kratom becoming very popular and is openly being used to treat opioid dependency, and many conditions all the while it has not been approved for human consumption and also has not been approved by the FDA or DEA for treatment for illness or addiction. So kratom vendors are actually doing something illegal, a felony. but there is a loophole, the FDA has limitations and if you sell something not labeled for human consumption and don't make the claim that it cures or treats anything then you can not be persecuted since it is then considered to be a Supplement/Botanical with no health benefits according to law. The problem with that is the FDA considers it to be a Drug with possibility to treat illness and addiction but hasn't been approved safe by our FDA! the reason they think this is because everyone went around saying kratom cured all(it kind of does) but the big NO NO was that many "Kratom Vendors" made the claim that they cured disease and illness, some even stated it cured Cancer. Not every vendor but enough did it and it got the attention of the FDA! now it's too late to call it a supplement and too late to say it treats shit without the evidence to back it up.
Kratom advocates are split into two divisions, Claims its a supplement with no medical benefits! and the other side which claims its a natural herb/Drug which cures/treats many conditions successfully.

Don't get me wrong, I have called reps, congressmen, FDA, CDC, DEA offices non stop not because i believe in our system but because i refuse to sit by and watch another beloved plant be demonized and outlawed while they pump out FDA approved synthetics 1 million times the danger of any Kratom or Kratom side effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, roadieratonga, Nan70

#IAmKratom #KeepKratomLegal
"Kratom is a safe and does not cause respitory depression. Kratom is a mildly addicting substance, comparable to Caffeine, it is my belief that Kratom does NOT fit within the CSA scheduled list I-V."
- DR. Henningfeild (kratom expert) Organic Chemist and scientist.
Last edit: by Chemist4hire.

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 3 days ago #24467

• bomalley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2872
In my view Kratom is MUCH safer than alcohol or marijuana. More people die every year as a direct result of taking too much caffeine through energy drinks that from Kratom.

Since Kratom does not cause impairment...it is much safer.

I understand why the FDA will NOT retract anything...that leaves them open to litigation, BUT they should not be saying untrue things in the first place. I do not understand how the politicians and regulatory authorities in the USA get away with this...Does nobody hold them accountable?
The following user(s) said Thank You: kemppaulh, Laurie, roadieratonga

BEV

#humboldtstrong
#torontostrong
Last edit: by bomalley.

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 3 days ago #24468

• kemppaulh
I have read that the FDA gets very little supervision in recent years. I believe they need a lot more, especially now, with Dr. Gottlieb going after harmless herbs with false claims about deaths *associated* with kratom. The DSHEA law of 1994 was supposed to keep the FDA's focus on pharmaceuticals and OFF herbs and vitamins, except when they make false claims about healing or preventing disease. Unfortunately, no-one can prove that kratom was being marketed to any great extent here before the date DSHEA was initiated, so it technically must prove itself safe, because it is a New Dietary Ingredient. This is a very expensive process, costing millions -- and still can be turned down on some technicality.

Coongressman Polis' letter is a noble attempt to redirect the FDA, but it is futile. They would look foolish to withdraw statements they just made. And, like you say, they might be somehow liable. It has been suggested in relation to their recent declaration that all homeopathic products are also illegal that they're not seriously trying to ban anything. They are merely trying to drive states and localities to ban them on the word of the FDA.

This is just a hypothesis, but it would have the effect of allowing drugs derived from kratom to continue in development (because they wouldn't be banned on the federal level) and it would save the FDA the trouble of defending its ban in front of the Senate or a federal court.

I agree, kratom is much safer than most drugs or recreational substances currently on the legal market. But that's part of the pressure on the FDA. The alcohol, tobacco, and Rx drug industries don't want the competition from kratom -- and the FDA evidently fears these big-money players more than it fears Congressional oversight committees. (You've heard of the "Revolving Door" that exists between government bureaus and the businesses they regulate, I'm sure. That's what I think keeps FDA officials doing what pleases Big Pharma, even at the risk of getting fired from their federal jobs.) But, by putting enough pressure on Congress and the Senate, I believe we can shift the balance of power and make the FDA stop lying. At least for a while...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, roadieratonga

;)

Polis asks FDA to lift public health warning on Kratom 9 months 3 days ago #24476

• roadieratonga
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
"I do not understand how the politicians and regulatory authorities in the USA get away with this...Does nobody hold them accountable?"

It is simply pure corruption and political division of the population.

The one two fold things that lessens my hope of Kratom not being scheduled is one, The AKA doesn't have billions of dollars to throw around and two, the AKA doesn't have some sort of lucrative after service job position to offer the representatives.
Our money gives them the limited ability to pressure and challenge the status quo. This fight is bigger than Kratom. It is like the one kid fighting the three bullies on the school yard while everyone else watches or fights among themselves.
Some reps are representatives because they want to make a change and some are representatives because they want a cozy retirement and perks. Same goes for doctors. People need to start voting , not on what party they represent but what the money trail shows. Elections should be like NASCAR and our reps should have the sponsors tags stamped on their suits for better transparency.

What has once been the United States of America has become the "Ununited states of assfucked"
Our for fathers gave democracy's life span about 150 years if I remember correctly before it fails. Historically democracy often destroys it's self from the inside out. We are honestly more of a republic because we the people do not vote these laws in, we vote in representatives but it is still a democratic process with all the chaos that comes with it. Mark Twain said it best when he said , "History does not repeat it's self but it sure does rhyme". In current times our country is more divided than ever except for the instance of the civil war.
The best we can do Is try try try and be vigilant, (Keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties) next time we vote but unity is a hard concept to grasp in the current environment. Corperation are very well at doing this and we need to catch up. AKA was vigilant when it came to the SITSA act where others said, ahh don't worry,,,,
Anyways I fear this is tap dancing on the line of politics but ignoring the Vaseline dripping down your thigh doesn't help ether.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kemppaulh, Laurie, madmaxnightrider

• Page:
Moderators: kemppaulh
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds