Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
22 Jun 2020
Good morning everyone, we'd like to welcome you to the new ILK Forum! We're in the process of finishing up all the the small details and will get everything done asap. This includes the new vendor pages, the daily and weekly special pages, the new blog sections, resource sections and more.

Please make sure to check out our approved vendors and don't be afraid to jump in there and ask questions and leave productive reviews.
~ I Love Kratom Forum Staff
Computers and Technology are clearly a part of every day life, so we should have a section to talk about it. This category is quite extensive, so we'll sub-categorize as needed.

TOPIC:

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25744

• Ocholoco
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
So, back on topic with Games.

I am having fun playing through "The Walking Dead" series now. It is a different format of game, which is a lot like the old Adventure types of games, where you control the story through decisions that you make. The game is shaped around the decisions which you make (in a way).

It might be a little like the TV series, although I do not really watch TV, and cannot say.

The game has some nice graphics, interesting character development, and really makes you "feel" the decisions that you make, as you play this story through. It really draws you in. It can be exciting, and all together downright depressing at times though. Also, there is no language filter, so if you are not a fan of "F" bombs being thrown around, then this game won't be for you.

I am on my second play through of the first series of episodes, trying to alter the play through a bit, by making different choices, and see what the game does about my new decisions.

I won't give away any of it (spoilers) here though. But if anyone else has played, I would like to hear your opinion of how you felt playing through it. :-bd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, roadieratonga

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25743

• Ocholoco
  • Junior Boarder
You're right, the 3rd party programs are necessary for just about anything you really want to get done when using a PC. But, that is kind of at the core of how and why Microsoft invented their operating system (DOS and Windows) I think.

There are a lot of people that can make a living by writing 3rd party software. And these days, there is a lot "freeware" out there too. Some of it is really powerful (Virus, Malware & Ad-Ware protection to name a couple), I use a ton of them, and I try to donate whenever possible if the software is good.

Microsoft still wants to control everything though. And yes, they intentionally disable perfectly good software applications which they do not like (see Google), and deliberately disable compatibility with the old software that we often like and use the most. For various reasons, this will always happen.

Microsoft (store) just like the Apple (store) wants you, the consumer, to do every single thing through them. They want to control all transactions, and make as large as a profit from it as possible.

Others (like Google, Adobe, etc) have created competing products (devices, operating systems, and software suites, etc) in the hopes that you will buy them (instead of Microsoft products), and help them control the information world.

Hehe, just look what Amazon is trying to do these days. They don't even want the old point of sale, retail stores to even exist any longer (or theaters, grocery stores, book stores, or parcel delivery, etc for that matter). They would prefer that you consumed everything through their website, online.

Sorry for the rant. Now this Gaming thread is way off topic. :side:

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25741

• roadieratonga
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 655
Yeah I regret throwing my old Dell out. Seems computers are like musical instruments, never get rid of it because later on you may regret it.
It seems you have to get 3rd party software to do allot of simple things with the new operating systems. Want to record literally your own music right from the instrument, sorry windows media player is almost useless. Want to burn old CD's you bought in the 90's Sorry, the copy write data is not available on this CD please buy a new copy in MP3 format. :angry:
It is like they purposely make stuff 10-20 years ago unable to run on the new systems or just didn't care to. Seems the new systems are more of a dulling than a cutting edge improvement.
“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25731

• Ocholoco
  • Junior Boarder

Pharmacy Dropout wrote: I downloaded all of the Command and Conquer games off of Origin the other night, but I can't play them on Windows 10

I hope you can get it running again. Nostalgia on those old titles makes me want to try running them all again. You might find some helps online. Perhaps modify the .INI file using an editor to reduce the graphics settings, etc.

I don't like when I have to fully change my display resolution on my graphics card to 640 x 480 x 256 colors in order to get something running. Yuck. :blink: :woohoo: :blink: Messes up everything, and I keep having to do it to play the old game. Really sucks. I keep an old Windows 7 machine around for some older applications. Like others, I wish I had kept a Win 95 machine around too for this kind of stuff.

Windows 10 has so many bugs, it is becoming worse than Vista. MS wants to control the world now that we get it for free.

Last edit: by Ocholoco.

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25730

• Ocholoco
  • Junior Boarder

Laurie wrote: Leisure Suit Larry was one of my first game on DOS...

OMG! I remember playing Leisure Suit Larry on something like a 80286 (processor based PC), (and thank you PDO for jogging my memory on that. Wow, that was like a "Set the "Way Back Machine for 1982 Professor" kind of reference.

That game was so visually entertaining. Unfortunately I could not seem to get Larry to do very much at all. I think I was spending too much time trying to figure out how to get Larry to pick up on girls or something and gave up after a while.

Yep, having a MSDOS (Microsoft's first operating system) based PC with 2 floppy drives was super important then. Haha, floppy drives. =D>

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25729

• Ocholoco
  • Junior Boarder

roadieratonga wrote: ...I just want some good old 8 bit tetris on my super duper smart phone.
As for DK2, yeah it don't play well on windows 10 or modulators...

Haha, I am with you there. The fact that you mention emulators tells me that you have tried everything you could to get it to run. But, yeah, sometimes it just don't want to work any more. :( :(

I found an emulator for Atari 2600 games once. It was so awesome playing Centipede again! Unfortunately the speed was running too fast, and the little centipede guys were zooming down from the top so fast I could hardly shoot them. And those bugs that zip straight down and take out your walls, were like bullets coming from the sky. Haha. I just gave up. But everything was there, even the sounds were perfect.

I once found source code for Tetris, and built the game in to one of my business applications for a marketing company I did work for. I put it in there as an Easter Egg, so hardly anyone would know how to run it. Once someone figured it out though, it was so funny watching everyone playing Tetris when they should have been making their telemarketing calls. Oops! :oops: :oops:

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25719

• Pharmacy Dropout
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 461
I had leisure suit larry on an old computer with floppy. What were they called? 486? I forgot what they were called, but it was before I ever had windows. I of course, did not understand the sexual nature of the game, so I didn't know how to do squat. Was a pointless game for me at that age.

I downloaded all of the Command and Conquer games off of Origin the other night, but I can't play them on Windows 10 with a 48 inch 4k monitor! Argh! I miss em!
I own and operate www.pharmacy-dropout.com We have the United States leading supply of bulk and retail Thunder God Vine. We also have Kratom, and other exotic botanicals. All of our Products are sold with no intent on use, and are not sold for consumption.

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25710

• Laurie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have a better day!
  • Thank you received: 9065
None of the games I liked are available now. I’d love a PC with WIN95 still on it!

Leisure Suit Larry was one of my first game on DOS (besides a weird gorilla game). I had to wait YEARS for the internet to provide the moves I needed to make. By then, I couldn’t plug the floppy discs in!

I know this is not the gaming you guys are chatting about. Exit stage left.
Laurie

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25689

• roadieratonga
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 655
I did see your original reply. :-bd
What really burns me is I cannot find a Tetris game for my cell phone that Isn't flooded with adds and other crap, I just want some good old 8 bit tetris on my super duper smart phone.
As for DK2, yeah it don't play well on windows 10 or modulators. There is a spin off that is almost exactly the same but they couldn't use some copyright themes. I'm sure to use the song disco inferno now a days would probably cost a million just for the rights.
It is called "war of the overworld". Everything is the same and improved but some art and theme elements could not be carried over. They even have the same narrator from the originals.
“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurie, Ocholoco

Last edit: by roadieratonga.

Gamers: What are you playing / looking forward to? 2 years 7 months ago #25644

• Ocholoco
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry RoadCat, my long response to your post was wiped out by a 'Computers and Technology'. :angry: glitch.

I think you are incredibly tuned in to the modern PC gaming industry. Titles you mention, such as Everquest, Doom, and Civ3 turned out to be groundbreaking. Each of them opened their own genre of computer gaming (MMORPG, FPS, and Turn based Strategy). Developers who copied these formulas went on to create epic gaming franchises.

I wish I had played some of the others, including Dungeon Keeper, so that I could understand your funny reference to it. Unfortunately with Windows 10, the play of some of my old classics, and perhaps a couple of yours as well, is not very possible. Even under the "Compatibility" tab, located under Properties. Microsoft just doesn't want you doing it.

I have a partial solution to that though. I keep a Windows 7 Pro laptop around. It has to be the "Pro" version. But you can run OS shells (such as earlier versions of Windows, such as XP Mode, or 95 Mode) on it. And those shells can emulate those operating systems well enough to run some of the outdated titles! Sorry if that comes off a little too 'techie'. I just thought I would share that in case you wanted to check it out.

I liked the early Fallout's too. They were turn based, and you moved around like it was a board game, moving from square to square. And decided on what you would do each turn, like shoot, run, etc. It left a lot up to the imagination for sure.

Also, totally relate to how the internet cheats and guides could help anyone complete entire games without even trying. I wouldn't have completed many boss encounters in WoW, had Thottbot not existed.

Games are more consumable today. Kids want instant gratification. Hacks and Cheats are common. Lots of people want to be overpowered or god-like as quick as possible so that they can destroy their virtual (or on-line multiplayer) opponents as quickly and easily as possible. This makes them feel 'Elite'. :evil:

More and more games are heading this direction. Pay-to-win is becoming popular. All you have to do is have a credit card and you can be god-like in no time. Ugh, what a mess!

Moderators: kemppaulhSomethingsacredgoinonhere
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds