Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
22 Jun 2020
Good morning everyone, we'd like to welcome you to the new ILK Forum! We're in the process of finishing up all the the small details and will get everything done asap. This includes the new vendor pages, the daily and weekly special pages, the new blog sections, resource sections and more.

Please make sure to check out our approved vendors and don't be afraid to jump in there and ask questions and leave productive reviews.
~ I Love Kratom Forum Staff
This section is for Forum and Kratom industry news and announcements.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Article circulating the web 5 years 4 weeks ago #5668

• kemppaulh
  • Thank you received: 1152
Thanks, Michaels. I know where they got the psychosis/hallucinations side-effect. There was a very loosely done study of some Thai laborers who wound up at the poison control center in Rathmabodi for treatment. Two out of ten were psychotic, which entails hallucinations, but they had been taking kratom and occasionally heroin and/or methadrine, not eating regularly and working very hard, but the DEA scooped up this one unscientific report and said kratom causes psychosis.
There are some minor side-effects, but I've found they can be managed with careful attention to diet and other lifestyle factors.
Glad you enjoyed the article overall.
;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Article circulating the web 5 years 4 weeks ago #5666

• michaels
  • michaels's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
I felt she didn't do an absolutely awful job, it was a lot less bias than a lot of articles on the internet. She pointed out the potential of abuse, because anything can be abused. Look at our country's obesity problem, we abuse food! I think considering the worst case scenario is a good thing so that we can prevent it from happening. It's just education like you said in your article.

Although she did go a bit far by saying psychosis is a potential side effect, she mentioned nothing of hallucination as we normally see in these type of articles. Most everything else she said (constipation, sedation, weight loss, insomnia, chest discomfort, nausea, etc.) I've either experienced myself or have read on the internet. They're potential side effects, mostly stemming from uneducated use of the plant. All we can do is attempt to spread the truth so people can use Kratom properly.

Nontheless, I read through your article and enjoyed it. In general, the media has sent out some low blows to terrify their own people and it's a damn shame. I shared your blog post on Reddit and some other forums to hopefully gain some awareness, as well as some new Kratomites to our site. Take it easy Paul, until next time!

Article circulating the web 5 years 4 weeks ago #5663

• kemppaulh
  • Thank you received: 1152
I just published an analysis of this article and some thoughts on how it hides the larger truth of the millions who are being helped by kratom. It is the first blog you'll see when visiting the Blogs section of ILoveKratom.com/.

I hope you enjoy it and find it thought-provoking.
;)

Article circulating the web 5 years 1 month ago #5658

• madmaxnightrider
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fight for your Rights to Use Kratom.
  • Thank you received: 4336
I've heard of some people taking kratom several times a day for 30 + years without any major side effects. Just the usual mild nausea, mild headache & constipation sometimes & mild withdrawals when stopping cold turkey. I have never heard of anyone overdosing or dying of taking just Kratom by itself unless the Kratom is Laced with some other drug or poison. All the overdoses are of people Mixing other Drugs with Kratom. They blame the overdose completely on Kratom but not true. They give Kratom a bad name. I've overdosed a few times on Kratom & all I got was Nausea, a Headache & a Hangover. Nothing near life threatening. I have overdosed on opiates & benzos twice & had to be rushed to the ER & both were life threatening. My Oxygen level was down to 75% the last time I overdosed on opiates & benzos. I wrecked my car twice when I was on drugs. Never have I had a problem with Kratom. It has saved me from the despair of addiction to drugs. I would be dead or in jail if not for Kratom. They should put articles about all the people Kratom has saved from Addiction instead of putting nonsense like, Is Kratom the next dangerous drug epidemic? Ridiculous :silly:
Life Is Like Teaching Sanskrit To A Pony.
Intelligence is like a river. The deeper it is... the less noise it makes.

Article circulating the web 5 years 1 month ago #5646

• michaels
  • michaels's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Hey everyone,

We had been talking about this in another thread, so it's a couple days old now, but I figured I'll post it anyways. We're getting a lot more unbiased articles on the internet now that more people know the truth about Kratom. What do you think of this one?

Question

What is kratom, and is it a helpful remedy or a harmful drug?

Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is a tree-like plant in the same botanical family as the coffee tree and gardenia (Rubiaceae), and is native to Southeast Asia. Other names for kratom are ketum, thang, icthang, kakuam, kraton, thom, and biak-biak.

Kratom has been used for centuries in Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia to combat fatigue and, empirically, to treat pain and opioid withdrawal symptoms.[1,2] It is most commonly used orally, as fresh leaves that are chewed or that have been prepared as an extract, or as dried plant material brewed as a tea or ingested in gelatin capsules. Less frequently, kratom is smoked.[1,2]

Effects are reported to be dose-dependent. Doses of 1-5 g have a stimulant effect and increase energy. Moderate to high doses (5-15 g) have opioid-like effects, including euphoria. Doses > 15 g can cause extreme sedation and stupor, similar to opioids.

The indole alkaloid mitragynine appears to be responsible for the opioid-like effects of kratom. Mitragynine has high affinity for mu-opioid receptors, but less than morphine. Affinity for delta- and kappa-opioid receptors are lower than for mu, but higher than the affinity of morphine for delta and kappa.

Animal research suggests that kratom has analgesic effects that are reversed by naloxone, and that kratom may have anti-inflammatory and anorexic effects. Some effects of mitragynine appear to be independent of opioid receptor activity and may involve noradrenergic and serotonergic mechanisms.[1]

Animal research suggests that kratom can be addictive, and observational research in chronic kratom users in Malaysia suggests that kratom can lead to dependence, although social functioning does not
appear to be impaired.[3,4]

Despite its potentially addictive properties, kratom is currently legal in most states. Kratom is regulated in the United States as a dietary supplement and can be purchased in smoke shops and on the Internet. Recently, however, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) moved to ban the importation of kratom, calling it a "new dietary ingredient," on the basis of lack of marketing documentation in the United States before the enactment of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994. The FDA also cited the absence of established safety and potential toxicity.[5,6]

Acute adverse effects of kratom include anxiety, irritability, and aggression, as well as opioid-like effects, such as sedation, nausea, constipation, and itching. Chronic high-dose use has been associated with hyperpigmentation of the cheeks, tremor, weight loss, and psychosis.[1,2]

Cases of both overdose and withdrawal have been reported by poison control centers. Common presentations of overdose include palpitations and seizures. Withdrawal symptoms include myalgia, insomnia, fatigue, and chest discomfort. Withdrawal symptoms have even occurred in the infant of a chronic kratom-using mother.[7,8] Fatalities possibly attributed to kratom, usually in combination with other drugs, have been reported.[9-11]

Kratom appears to have a strong drug interaction potential. Kratom extracts inhibit CYP2C9, CYP2D6, and CYP3A4 in vitro.[12,13] Kratom is sometimes combined with O-desmethyltramadol, a tramadol (UltramĀ®) metabolite, in a product called "krypton."[9] Additive depressant effects on the central nervous system, along with potential metabolic drug interactions, in theory may increase its opioid-like effects.

Kratom use appears to be increasing in the United States and worldwide.[7,8] Routine toxicologic screens do not detect kratom.[14] Healthcare providers caring for patients who present for emergency treatment should be aware that kratom use may be responsible for otherwise unexplained stimulant or depressive symptoms.

Written by:
Gayle Nicholas Scott, PharmD
Assistant Professor, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia

• Page:
Moderators: kemppaulhSomethingsacredgoinonhere
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds